What is wordpress themes ?
A theme controls the general look and feel of your site including things like page layout, widget locations, and default font and color choices. WordPress has a wide range of themes for you to choose. You can change your theme as often as you like.
There are some kinds of themes:
- Normal themes: a theme has basic structure with API and support all default functions of wordpress. A normal theme consists of index.php, header.php, footer.php, single.php, sidebar.php, archive.php, category.php. Sometimes, it may contain some other files but all of this are based on the default wordpress structure.
- Theme frameworks: a Theme designed to be a flexible foundation for quicker WordPress development, usually serving as a robust Parent Theme for Child Themes. Some Theme frameworks can also make theme development more accessible, removing the need for programming or design knowledge with options pages.
- Builder themes: this is a theme which have different structure with the basic wordpress theme, but the way of using is very easy. All you need to do is select and drag the objects/panels to the right location. You also can change the color of theme for personal reasons. Some of the famous buildr themes likes Headway, Ultimatium, iBuilder, PageLines,….
- Starter themes: this themes are for developers or designers. They use this theme to build a new theme which has structure based on the starter theme.
- Child theme: like the normal themes, but it inherits all features from parent theme. Except some special themes like Genesis, Headway. All other theme supports child theme.
How to find wordpress themes ?
You can find the free wordpress themes on Gooogle or the best way is go to the wordpress.org themes library.
You can download wordpress free themes from these website:
Install via WordPress dashboard
Apperance -> Themes -> Add new
You can find the theme by name in the library.
A list of themes will appear, if you like this theme, just it install or preview to have a overlook.
Install via Upload file .zip
In case, you have a theme file as zip in your computer and you want to upload it. Simple go to
Apperance -> Themes -> Add new -> Upload theme
Install via uploading directly into hosting
If your theme is too heavy (more than 15Mb), you must install your theme through hosting. I recommend the FileZilla and upload your theme directly in wp-content/themes.
Most of themes have their own configuration which you can find in Appearance tabs
Widget is one of the must-have feature in wordpress. Widget is a fancy word for tools or content that you can add, arrange, and remove from the sidebar(s) of your blog. Widgets make it easy to customize the content of your sidebar(s).
You can access your widgets from the Appearance → Widgets screen in your Dashboard.
To add a widget, drag the widget from the Available Widgets or Inactive Widgets area on the left into the Sidebar area on the right. When you see a dashed line appear, you can drop the widget into place.
Each widget has configuration options. To make changes to a widget in the sidebar, click on the triangle on the right side.
This will open up the options for the widget. Each widget will be different. Here is an example of the Archives widget. After you have have configured the widget, click the Save button. Clicking the Close link will minimize the configuration options again.
See, it’s so easy. Once again, if you have any questions, please let in the comment below. Thank you.